Monday, March 29, 2010

L o v e




Memory is a way of holding onto the things you love,


the things you are,

the things you never want to lose. 


(circa 2006...we were babies!)







Do you know those friends love you just the way you are? But without even knowing it, just by being there, push you to be something greater, something more? 
  I'm not saying I haven't met friends like that in college and beyond- in fact, I've made friends I could have never even imagined I'd need so much in the last year of my life. But there is something to be said about friends who have known you for more than half of your life, or almost half. Friends who navigated years of uniforms and dress codes and Catholic school. Friends who understood the unspoken rules that revolved around the bold yellow line which divided the boy's side of the playground from the girl's and would bow our heads serenely in prayer, crossing ourselves whenever an ambulance sirens would wail in the background of our spelling lessons. Friends who remember high school..and the tears..and the laughter. 

  I visited St. Thomas last week with Billy & Erica. Part of me felt like I had never left & the other half felt like everything was different, that I had been gone forever. And there is nothing quite so surreal as walking down the halls of your former high school, with two of your best friends...and your daughter. I had entered the twilight zone. 

  Today, I am thankful for friends. Old & new. I'm a lucky girl. 


No comments:

Post a Comment