Friday, January 29, 2010

These are a few of my favorite things...

I spent yesterday on the couch. And I mean..the entire day. I can count on one hand the amount of times I dragged myself up from the couch. My mom was kind enough to take Grace, when I called her almost in tears at 6 am, faced with the prospect of entertaining a 9 month old when I was certain death must be knocking at my door. Andrew brought a case of ginger ale, saltines & water near me & helped me locate the remote (I was laying on it) as I was extremely distraught that I had been watching ESPN since 4 in the morning (did you know this is the only channel that doesn't play infomercials at 4 am?) . I can tell you all the sports highlights from yesterday. In order. I know far more than I ever cared to about college basketball. And Gilbert Arenas suspension (fyi- appalling. Should never be allowed to play basketball again. You are a role model- don't care if you don't like it, you signed up for it along with that ridiculous paycheck. Blegh!) So yesterday, being alone & awfully pathetic, I thought of the many things in my life I take for granted & all the things that make me happy. I thought I was dying, remember? Perfect time for self- reflection :)

   First of all.I took a nap yesterday. An EPIC, hours long, middle of the day nap. I woke up cozy warm & confused. Wondering why a baby wasn't crying and where Andrew was, because he must need me to locate something for him. This confusion may have had something to do with the fever I'd been fielding all day but the truth remains- I love naps.  I miss naps. Napping was the best thing I ever learned in college. 

 (Please note- I realized WHY I no  longer napped, besides the obvious reasons, when I was still awake at midnight & Grace was ready to play at 6:00 am. I'm old. )

I dreamed of a day where I could lounge around, napping, reading, catching up on bad TV. A day without a baby that needed to eat, cry & be played with all day long. I thought this would be paradise. Instead, I learned that I am in fact, obsessed with my baby. I called my mom every few hours, for updates. Now Gracie is pretty amazing- but she's only 9 months old..she really doesn't do much. My irrational fever fears included that she might walk, read War & Peace, get her drivers license & graduate from college while I was home, being a lazy bum, on the couch. 

SO..I've decided to institute a "theme-day" to this blog. Lacking creativity- I'm going to call it "Favorite Thing Fridays".  Here are a few of my favorite things, currently:
  1.  Modern Family. I stumbled upon this gem one day while browsing Hulu (which by the way, is a fabulous invention). It is rare that I laugh out loud while watching TV. Hilarious. Check it out, please- you won't be disappointed. 
  2. Leggings. Let me be the first to say I resisted this trend for as long as possible.I couldn't imagine that spandex-type fabric could ever be remotely flattering. But I bought a super cute shirt/dress (and when you are as short as I am, clothing of ambiguous length automatically favors the longer option) at Target for $4  (score!) and decided to try it out. I got complimented AND they are SO comfortable. Since being pregnant- I have a huge issue with waist-bands that are not elastic. Even when clothes like jeans fit- I feel ridiculously claustrophobic with their snaps and buttons and zippers.. which makes dressing in a way that is socially acceptable practically impossible. Solution? Leggings. Of course, by the time I post this, they will probably not be fashionable anymore. Sigh. 
  3. Gracie's new habit of clapping. I feel like I am constantly being applauded. Just for being alive. The first thing she did this morning when she saw me was wave and then clap. Instant ego-booster. 
  4. My blender. Smoothies. Margaritas. Frozen coffee type drinks that rival a coolatta. Why did it take me so long to acquire this kitchen appliance?
  5. French-toast coffee. Particularly when it is delivered to me, freshly made, while I am still half-asleep on the couch. 
I intended to post pictures today as well, but my internet is being temperamental. They will be coming soon, so consider this post under construction.. :)

1 comment:

  1. Modern Family is THE FUNNIEST show I've ever seen!! I totally agree with the laughing out loud.

    ReplyDelete